Gingery Beet and Carrot Soup
After spending the day working in a local organic farm, my husband came home with a bag full of beets and carrots. After searching online for some inspiration on what to do with them, I adapted the following recipe and made a delicious batch of gingery soup! I had never been a fan of beets, but this soup was absolutely delicious! And the color is amazing - an unreal red! I've been a beet convert ever since.
This recipe features Kauai grown beets, carrots, ginger, onion, and orange.
This delicious soup freezes and reheats well. Its vibrant color of red makes a great addition to any holiday dinner table.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
6 small beets
3-4 large carrots
1 cup diced onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp grated orange peel
3 garlic cloves
6 cups chicken broth (or water)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the beets and carrots and cut into chunks.
2. Saute the beets, carrots, and onions in olive oil over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes. Add the ginger, orange peel, and garlic.
4. Heat the chicken broth in a pot. Add the vegetable mixture to the chicken broth.
5. Simmer on low heat until the vegetables are soft, about 30 minutes.
6. Puree 3/4 of the soup in a blender and add back to the 1/4 of chunky soup.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.