Search:Kauai Grown Recipes
Party Pupus, Soups & Starters
- Hawaiian Paella
- Meaty Eggplant Parmesan
- Spiced Seared Mahi Mahi on Kabocha Pumpkin Puree With Chipotle Coconut Sauce and Shrimp & Bacon Relish
- Zesty Taro Hummus Wrap
- Banana Health Nut Bread
- Chocolat Macadamia Nut Tort
- Java & Goat Cheese Cream Puffs
- Macadamia Nut Coconut Tart
Kauai Grown Recipes
Tropical Fruit Salad
~ Side DishesPrep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0
About the Recipe:This is the most simple, refreshing of all desserts, and every single ingredient aside from the optional apple is found growing in my yard at this time of the year.
Ingredients:2 bananas, sliced
1 large papaya, cubed
2 medium oranges, peeled, deseeded and cubed
1/2 starfruit, deseeded and sliced
1 cup strawberry guavas, sliced in half, if you can find these rare grape sized red-skinned fruits. Substitute grapes or strawberries.
1 large apple, sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons local lime juice
2 tablespoons (to taste) local cane sugar
Directions:1. Start with the lime juice in a bowl large enough for the entire salad.
2. Cut the apple and bananas first, tossing them in lime juice immediately and coating them well with the juice to keep them from turning brown
3. Cut and add the rest of the fruit.
4. Add the cane sugar last, so you can judge the sweetness of the final product.
5. For extra sweetness, throw in 1/3 cup raisins. Keep in mind that this will shorten the shelf life of your salad, since they reconstitute in the juice and become oddly grape-like after an hour or so.